Communications Specialist/Writer (Ref. #1793) (DR)
MRC has an immediate opening for a full time communications specialty/writer to support the Public Affairs and Protocol Office at NUWC Division Newport. The qualified candidate is responsible for a variety communications and analysis efforts, including creating, editing and posting content for the Portal News, the digital newsletter of the Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division, Newport in Newport, RI; maintaining the social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and iNFUSION tools) for the command, and serves as the webmaster for NUWC Division Newport’s external and internal websites. Working in conjunction with the Portal News editor and Public Affairs Officer, selects images, text, and other content daily for digital signage, websites, and social media.
Regular tasks may include any or all of the following:
- Collaborate with Portal News editor on all stories, images, placement, etc.
- Interface with technical writers and photographers including, government personnel and contractors
- Coordinate content with senior writer/editor at NUWC Headquarters for submissions to their newsletter
- Prepare and assist with all messaging for a base-wide digital signage program
- Support ongoing archiving efforts – posted stories and images – in digital format and on DVDs
- Conduct research and analysis on history pertaining to U.S. Navy, NUWC, and related topics, to support the Public Affairs Officer, Portal News stories, website, and social media posts
- Respond to Portal News readers and answers all customer inquiries about stories, command updates, and digital signage
- Provides support to the Public Affairs Office and Protocol Office, as needed, for command events
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience, preferably performing similar duties as an editor/writer in a commercial and/or defense environment.
- Strong skills and experience in the use of SharePoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro and PhotoShop a must.
- Basic skills proficiency with Microsoft Office Outlook, Word; PowerPoint, Excel, and Internet Explorer.
- Familiarity with HTML coding a plus.
- Working level knowledge and adherence to writing and editing style guides, including: current Associated Press Stylebook, U.S. Navy Style Guide, Division Newport online acronym guide, and online dictionaries.
- Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, to all levels of the customer organization.
- Ability to follow standard operating procedures, meet deadlines, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, digital media, or related field.
- Additional formal education or training that is directly-relevant to this particular type of work is a plus.
- Experience in U.S. Navy programs or operations.
PLEASE REFERENCE JOB #1793 WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION
We offer a competitive wage and benefit package.
Applicants should apply on-line at MRCDS.COM under the “Job Posting Section”